Plant-based doesn't have to be boring! This Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese with Garlicky Breadcrumbs is the proof. It is creamy, crunchy, and satisfying all at the same time, and has a delicious roasted garlic flavor. You won't even miss the cheese in this recipe!
Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese with Garlicky Breadcrumbs Recipe:
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tbsp Double Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/4 nutritional yeast
- 5 cloves roasted garlic
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Double Garlic Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- To start, set a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Then, gather all the ingredients for your creamy sauce. Into a blender add in the soaked cashews, juice of one lemon, salt, garlic olive oil, miso paste, nutritional yeast, roasted garlic, and 1/2 cup of water.
- Blend until creamy and smooth. Grind your pepper right into the sauce and add more water if needed to make the sauce thick, but still pourable.
- Blend again, and taste for seasoning. Set aside.
- Heat a small pan for the garlicky breadcrumbs. Add in the garlic olive oil, thyme, and salt and heat gently for 2 minutes. Then, add in the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Cook for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- By now, your water for the pasta should be boiling. Boil your desired pasta according to the package directions and reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- After the pasta has been drained, combine the pasta, pasta water, and sauce in the pot. Mix well.
- Add the combined pasta and sauce into a large baking dish and scatter the breadcrumbs over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, watching to see if the breadcrumbs brown too quickly. If they do, cover with foil.
- Serve hot!