This Instant Pot Chickpea recipe is arguably the most delicious and easiest way to cook chickpeas! After only 40 minutes in the instant pot, these chickpeas come out soft and tender, ready for any vegetarian meal or hummus recipe. The best part (other than the delicious chickpeas) is that you can save the broth and use it as stock in soups or stews. This is truly THE best way to cook your chickpeas from scratch– you'll never want to eat canned chickpeas again!
Instant Pot Chickpeas Recipe:
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- 2 tbsp Wild Groves Double Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 head of garlic, with the ends chopped off
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- First, soak your chickpeas in about 6 cups of water and 1 tbsp of salt. Stir to disperse the salt and leave it on the counter covered for anywhere between 6-16 hours.
- Next, rinse your chickpeas under cold water and drain them. Set aside.
- In your instant pot, add in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Then, add in 2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of paprika, and the bay leaves. Toss in your garlic and the two halves of the onion, as well as the drained chickpeas and 8 cups of water.
- To start the cooking process, use the manual setting on your instant pot and set the timer to 10 minutes for tender and creamy chickpeas. For firmer chickpeas, you might want to cook for 8 minutes instead.
- Let the steam release naturally, about 20 minutes, and then they will be ready to serve after discarding the onions, bay leaves, and garlic!