This Creamy Coconut 3-Grain Porridge is the perfect breakfast if you want a hearty, stick-to-you-ribs type of meal that is still so healthy and full of fiber and good fats. The creamy porridge pairs so nicely with the bright and slightly tart mixed berry coulis, reminiscent of eating a slice of leftover pie for breakfast as a child. Top it with any fruit of your choice and additional toppings like walnuts, goji berries, or coconut and you're good to go!
Creamy Coconut Mixed Grain Porridge with Raspberry Coulis
- 1 cup mixed grains, such as barley, farro, rice, and quinoa
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (reserve 2 tbsp for topping afterwards)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Red Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar
- Zest of one lemon
- In a medium saucepan, bring the grains, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and 3 cups of water to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour. The grains should be tender and not too chewy, and the porridge should be nice and creamy. Add more water if needed otherwise the porridge will turn out like cooked rice and loose it's creaminess!
- While the porridge is cooking, make your mixed berry coulis.
- For the coulis, add the frozen berries, sugar, and Red Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the berries are soft and a thick sauce starts to form.
- Add in the lemon zest and cook for another 1-2 minute over low heat.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth if desired. If not, your coulis will have seeds and that is fine too!
- Strain the coulis through a fine mesh sieve until no seeds remain. Pour into a jar and set aside.
- To assemble, scoop the warm porridge into a bowl and top with the reserved coconut milk and berry coulis. Top with additional fruit like bananas, kiwi, blueberries, or strawberries and enjoy!