Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions. A classic Italian dish that is bursting with flavor, and best of all, is made all in one pan! This dish can be eaten in a bowl over rice or polenta, or stuffed into a roll as a hearty sandwich.
Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Recipe:
- 1/4 cup Wild Groves Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage, sliced about 1" thick
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 cup diced tomato (cherry tomato or beefsteak)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4-6 Italian sandwich rolls or ciabatta rolls, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add in the chili flakes and garlic and let them cook for 2-3 minutes to infuse the olive oil.
- Next, add in the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain. Set aside.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add in the onions. Saute until softened and fragrant. Then, add in the bell peppers, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato, and cook down for a few more minutes until softened. Add the sausage back in, and stir to combine. Heat until the sausage is warm.
- Serve topped with fresh basil in a bowl or if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately.