This Fig and Caramelized Onion Pizza is one of the most delicious ways to enjoy figs during the summertime and early fall. The combination of the sweet figs and caramelized onions with the creaminess of the ricotta pairs perfectly with the peppery nature of the fresh arugula. This pizza makes a perfect appetizer or even works well as a dessert pizza!
Fig and Caramelized Onion Pizza:
- 2 tbsp Ascolano Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 4 figs, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- First, remove your dough from the refrigerator about an hour before making your pizza. This will make the dough easier to handle and stretch out into a rectangular shape.
- Next, heat a pan over medium heat with 2 tbsp Ascolano Olive Oil. When the oil is warmed, add in your sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions are golden brown and softened to your preference, about 10-12 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the onion are caramelizing, cover your baking sheet in corn meal. You may not need the whole 1/4 cup, but make sure there is a nice even layer of corn meal on your pan. Stretch out your dough to a rectangular shape and lay it out on the pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees until it is puffed up and firm to the touch.
- To assemble the pizza, first lay down the caramelized onions. Next, Place the sliced figs on top. Then, add on the ricotta cheese in small dollops all over the pizza. Bake the pizza again for about 10-12 minutes. After it has cooled for about 5 minutes, add the arugula on top. Serve immediately.