You may have heard of Spanakopita, which is a Greek spinach pie, but have you ever tasted the Italian version? There are several ways to present this delicious dish, whether it is in a loaf shape, or in a calzone! All you need for this delicious recipe packed with spinach is pizza dough (homemade or store bought), frozen spinach, olives, breadcrumbs, chili flakes, garlic, s&p, parmesan or Romano cheese, breadcrumbs, and LOTS of Wild Groves Olive Oil! We used Foxy in this recipe, but any of our oils will work perfectly!
- 1 bag Trader Joe's Pizza dough, or 1 recipe homemade dough
- 2 bags frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cans sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup Wild Groves Foxy Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more to brush on top before baking
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 grated Romano or Pecorino cheese
- 2 small cloves garlic, smashed and sliced
- Red chili flakes, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- First, make sure your spinach is thawed. If your spinach is not thawed, it will make your filling much too watery and as a result your dough will become soggy.
- If using store bought dough, take it out of the refrigerator and let it warm on the counter. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, make your filling. Place the thawed spinach in a colander and squeeze out all the water with your hands. Place the spinach in a large bowl and add olives, olive oil, breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. if the mixture is too wet, add a tablespoon of breadcrumbs more and mix again. Taste for seasoning, and then set this mixture aside while you work on your dough.
- For the dough, flour your hands and a large flat surface. Begin stretching out your dough into a large rectangle for a log-shaped spinach pie. Place the spinach mixture all along the center of the rectangle, like a stripe. Next, wrap the mixture up with the dough into a log shape. Make sure both ends are sealed and there are no holes in the dough! Then, brush the top of the log with olive oil and sprinkle coarse salt on top. Bake your spinach pie for about 20 minutes until golden brown, flipping halfway through. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then slice and enjoy!
Wild Groves Foxy Extra Virgin Olive Oil