This White Bean and Chard soup is a riff on the classic Italian dish called Pasta e Fagioli, and it is even more delicious with the addition of plenty of Swiss Chard and our Basil Olive Oil! Topped with lots of fresh herbs and an extra drizzle of olive oil, this cozy soup is perfect for the colder weather coming up. Add some crusty bread on the side, and you’ve got the perfect weeknight meal with lots of leftovers 🙌
White Bean and Chard Soup Recipe:
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, scrubbed, coarsely chopped
1 leek, white and pale green parts only and coarsely chopped
6 garlic cloves
⅓ cup Wild Groves Basil Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups water or chicken/vegetable stock
1 bunch Swiss Chard, chopped
1–2 Parmesan rinds (optional)
2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
8 oz. small pasta (such as macaroni)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Finely grated Parmesan, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until softened, and then add the garlic. Sauté until fragrant. Add the chopped carrots and celery, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until veggies are softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium pot, boil salted water for the pasta.
- Into the large pot, add the broth (or water), canned tomatoes, parmesan rind, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes. While the soup is simmering, cook your pasta, drain it, and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, remove the lid, and add the cannellini beans and the chopped chard. When the chard is wilted, remove the bay leaf and the parmesan rinds, and season to taste with freshly cracked sea salt, black pepper, and more olive oil if desired.
- Serve garnished with parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley if desired.