This easy Gingerbread Cookie recipe is the one you'll want to use for the holiday season! With a myriad of spices to create that true gingerbread flavor, these cookies are the perfect balance between sweet and spicy.
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe:
Adapted from Loving it Vegan
- 1/4 cup Wild Groves Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Unsulphured molasses
- 1 flax egg or regular egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
Gingerbread Cookies Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Add the olive oil and brown sugar to a bowl and mix throughly.
- Then, either prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp hot water and allowing to sit for a minute, or skip this step if using a regular egg.
- Add the molasses, vanilla and egg to the bowl and beat together with the oil and brown sugar.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves and into the wet ingredients and mix together. It should be a thick batter.
- Flour a surface and your hands very generously and transfer the cookie dough onto the baking surface. Roll it into a ball, adding flour as needed so it doesn’t stick.
- Roll out with a rolling pin to around a 1/4 inch thick and cut out some gingerbread men or cookies of your preferred shape. Dip your cookie cutter in flour each time so it doesn’t stick. Move the gingerbread cookies to a parchment lined baking tray.
- Gather the scraps of dough, form into a ball and roll out again, cutting out more men.
- Don’t be shy to add more flour each time, this dough can be quite sticky and you need it not to be as you roll it, so add flour as needed. Any excess flour on the gingerbread cookies will bake off.
- Repeat this process until you have used all the dough.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes and then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating (optional).