Looking for the perfect summer breakfast or brunch idea? This Zucchini and Caramelized Onion Fritatta is the perfect dish to add some more veggies into your day and is perfect to make for the whole family. Using our Basil Olive Oil to coat the veggies adds a ton of flavor to this dish too. It is also a great way to use up any leftover roasted veggies, bits of cheese, or jarred goods like sundried tomatoes or artichoke hearts. Here's to no more boring breakfasts!
Zucchini and Caramelized Onion Fritatta Recipe:
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 2 tbsp Basil Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squash flowers, optional for topping
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place your diced zucchini on roasting pan and toss with 1 tbsp of Basil olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned. If you do not want to roast the zucchini, you can grate the zucchini instead and make sure to squeeze the water out of it before adding it into the egg mixture.
- In a medium skillet, add in the other tbsp of olive oil to coat the pan. Toss in your sliced onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and golden brown. Cover the pan if needed to steam the onions and speed up the process.
- While the onions and zucchini are cooking, make the egg mixture. Crack 5 eggs into a bowl and whisk with the half and half, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and salt/pepper. Add in the roasted or grated zucchini and the caramelized onions, and then pour the mixture into an oven safe baking dish or cast iron skillet. Top with squash flowers if you desire. Bake the frittata at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until the middle is set and the top is slightly browned.