These chewy, fluffy pretzels are sure to please at your next family movie night or game day. We used our Kitchen Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil in this recipe to make the dough tender and impart a delicious flavor, but any of our extra virgin oils will work perfectly! These pretzels make a fantastic appetizer paired with any of our gourmet mustards or tapenades, or even dipped into a homemade nacho cheese sauce. If you're not feeling savory, try adding a cinnamon and sugar mixture on top for a sweet treat or drizzling melted dark chocolate over top.
Soft & Chewy Olive Oil Pretzel Recipe:
- 1 & 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Wild Groves Kitchen Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 7 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Olive oil for brushing
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- Wild Groves Sweet Toasted Garlic Mustard for dipping, optional
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups warm water and yeast to a bowl and let sit for 4-5 minutes. Stir to dissolve the yeast into the water.
- Add the flour, salt, and olive oil to the bowl with the water and yeast. Stir gently to combine until the mixture becomes too thick to stir with a spoon, and use your hands to gently knead the dough. Knead the dough for about a minute or until a cohesive, only-slightly-sticky ball of dough forms.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. Leave the dough undisturbed in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, separate the dough into 8 equal pieces. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with 7 cups of water and heat until warm. Add 1/3 cup baking soda to the warm water and let sit while you form your pretzels.
- To form your pretzels, roll each piece of dough into a narrow rope about 12" long. Then, form each rope into a U-shape and cross the ends across each other a the base of the U to make the pretzel twist.
- Place pretzels on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and dip them one by one into the water and baking soda mixture. You can use your hands as long as the water isn't too hot. After dunking each pretzel for a few seconds, place back onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake pretzels for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown. While they're still warm, brush with additional olive oil and serve.
Kitchen Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil